So, you’ve always wanted to have that perfect white smile.
But you don’t want to go to the dentist.
And the main reason for this is that dental surgery uses bleaching agents, which contain chemicals that can damage your teeth. Also, bleaching can be quite expensive.
So, you want a natural way to whiten your teeth.
There are many ways to do it, however we have discovered one of the weirdest yet most wonderful ways of making your teeth white – using activated charcoal.
It sounds strange and you would probably never consider it as an option, but it is. And it is a great method of natural teeth whitening that really works.
Don’t wonder. Read on and find out more about the activated charcoal, how to use it to whiten your teeth, how it works and its benefits.
What is Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal is a non-toxic odorless and tasteless black powder. It is made by heating the common charcoal in the presence of gas, which causes it to develop a lot of internal spaces, known as pores.
Although it is similar to ordinary charcoal, activated charcoal is made especially for medical purposes. It is used to:
- Treats poisoning
- Prevent Hangovers
- Treats bile-flow problems during pregnancy
- Reduces levels of cholesterol
- Reduces intestinal gas
Activated Charcoal Properties
The activated charcoal that is used in the medicine develops pores as it’s made, as mentioned previously.
These pores help the chemicals and toxins to be absorbed in your body. The activated charcoal removes the poisons from your body and has proven to be very effective.
However, the way activated charcoal works when it is used for teeth whitening is a little bit different.
So, how does activated charcoal work? How does it whiten our teeth?
Why is Activated Charcoal the Best Teeth-Whitening Method?
Activated charcoal can absorb most of the organic toxins and poisons from your body.
This property makes it a perfect tool for natural teeth whitening!
It is known as one of the best ways to whiten your teeth naturally, in the comfort of your own home… without using expensive gels, trays, and strips.
Most bleaching products contain toxic chemicals, which can damage the enamel and the gum tissue. They can also cause gum irritation, tooth and gum sensitivity, and tooth pain.
When using activated charcoal for natural teeth whitening, you should choose the one made from coconut shells or some other natural sources.
This is not only safer but it is a cheaper option that has many health benefits other than just simply whitening of the teeth!
How does Activated Charcoal work in Teeth Whitening?
Activated charcoal removes the stains from your teeth.
Let’s get scientific.
It works in by binding the “tannins” and other compounds that contain “chromogens”.
Tannins are plant-based compounds that cause the stains to remain on the teeth. But, the real trouble is the chromogens because they cause the staining of the tooth enamel. Tannins are found in coffee, tea, wine and other products.
In other words, by binding with the tannins, the activated charcoal can absorb bacteria through the pores. It brushes your teeth, like a washing machine, and leaves them stainless and white.
The activated charcoal that is used for teeth whitening can be found in a form of powder, unpacked, or packed in a capsule.
Step-by-Step Guide on how to use Activated Charcoal
To whiten your teeth naturally and remove all the stains with activated charcoal, you should first prepare everything you need for the procedure.
You will need:
- An old toothbrush or a toothbrush you don’t use for everyday tooth brushing
- A capsule containing activated charcoal or an unpacked activated charcoal powder
- A cup, preferably a plastic one
If you use a capsule containing activated charcoal, follow these 8 simple steps:
- First, wet your toothbrush well.
- Then, place it on a paper towel, a napkin or other material for single use.
- Open the capsule with activated charcoal carefully. You don’t want to make a mess.
- Pour the activated charcoal powder from the capsule onto the toothbrush.
- Start brushing your teeth. Pay special attention to the most stained places. At first, you might feel that there is too much powder, but it will mix with the saliva and will become like toothpaste. If you want, you can add a small amount of toothpaste on the toothbrush and mix it with the charcoal powder.
- Brush your teeth gently and slowly for 3 to 5 minutes. Brush them like you do normally, when using toothpaste. From time to time, spit into the cup. Don’t spit into the sink because it will be harder to clean it.
- Once you are done with the brushing, rinse your mouth with water. Also, brush your tongue with water, as it is going to be black.
- Pour the spit into the toilet and flush, and throw the cup in a waste bin.
If you use unpacked activated charcoal powder, follow these steps:
- First, wet your toothbrush and dip it into the powder of activated charcoal.
- Then, brush your teeth, as you do normally with toothpaste, for 3 to 5 minutes
- When you are done brushing your teeth, sip water in the cup, swish it through your mouth and spit it.
Variations of Preparing Activated Charcoal for Teeth Whitening
You can prepare the activated charcoal for teeth whitening in several other ways.
- Add ½ teaspoon of unpacked activated charcoal powder, or one capsule, to 1 teaspoon of water or coconut oil on teeth.
- Also, you can mix it up and dip your brush into the paste
- After that, you just follow the steps described above in the procedure
- Add ½ teaspoon of unpacked activated charcoal powder, or one capsule, to 2 teaspoons of water.
- Then, you should mix it up and put it into your mouth.
- You should hold it between the front of your teeth and your lips, with a closed mouth.
- Hold it that way for 2-4 minutes and then spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth well with water.
- You should break 1-2 capsules of activated charcoal and pour the powder into a cup.
- Then, you should add water just to cover the bottom of the cup
- Mix the powder with the water to form a paste
- After that, you put the paste on the surfaces of your teeth and wait for 3 minutes.
- At the end, you should rinse your mouth with water.
How often should I use Activated Charcoal for Teeth Whitening?
There are several opinions regarding this question.
According to some, you should use the activated charcoal two to three times a week for best results. According to others, you should use it once a day, three days in a row. You can use the activated charcoal for up to five days in a row if the stains are deeper and it takes more time to clean them.
Once you notice that your teeth have whitened and that all the stains are removed, stop using it for several months, until you notice stains again.
It is important to mention that if you have crowns, veneers, fillings or caps, the activated charcoal might stain them.
That’s why it is important to consult with your dentist before you start using activated charcoal to whiten your teeth.
Top 3 Benefits of Activated Charcoal on your Teeth
The activated charcoal has more benefits and positive effects on your teeth than just bleaching them.
Let’s look how.
- Whitens your teeth
This is the primary reason why we use the activated charcoal, right?
We want to have pearly white teeth and a perfect smile. It whitens your teeth by eliminating the bacteria, plaque and the stains on them.
- Doesn’t damage your teeth
The activated charcoal is a natural product and it doesn’t affect your teeth negatively. Its absorbent properties affect only the tannins and the compounds, which contain chromogens.
It doesn’t absorb the calcium salts found in the tooth enamel, which means that it doesn’t damage your teeth.
Also, it doesn’t cause tooth sensitivity.
- Protects your teeth and gums
The activated charcoal protects your teeth and gums by changing the pH balance in your mouth.
By removing the bacteria, it prevents the development of cavities and tooth decay.
It also prevents the development of gum disease.
Top 3 Benefits of Activated Charcoal on your General Oral Health
The benefits and effects of activated charcoal on your overall oral health:
- Promotes good oral health
The activated charcoal helps you maintain good oral hygiene by eliminating the bacteria and toxins from your oral cavity.
It keeps the teeth and gums clean and healthy.
- Fights the bad breath
The bad breath is a result of the bacteria in your mouth and the plaque on your teeth. By removing the stains, plaque and bacteria from your teeth, the activated charcoal helps you get rid of bad breath.
- Controls the pH balance
The activated charcoal can alter the pH balance in your mouth and control it. In this way, it prevents the growth of pathogens in your mouth.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get brushing!